Sunday, August 27, 2006

Blogger Beta: Current Possibilities

So Gav, in the Googolians Forum Blogger Beta: A Significant Improvement, asks the $64,000,000 question

Hey I just have one question, can I upgrade my old one ?

After some consideration, my answer is
Not if you value your blog, if it has any content or features, or if it's indexed by the search engines. In other words, No.

After much consideration, and examining known issues - Design Deficiencies, and Problems, I have to say that I do not recommend upgrading any existing blog, that's at all mature and has content and value to you.

I am going to recommend a parallel (mirroring) strategy.
  • Develop a new blog, as a Beta. Make its visual characteristics as close to the current (unupgraded) blog as possible.
  • Use FeedDigest, or another custom feed service (FeedDigest is free), and build 2 feeds, one from your Classic blog, the other from your new Beta blog. Install the feed from one onto the other, and vice versa.
  • Then start blogging to the Beta blog, when appropriate.
  • Note the design deficiencies, and known problems, when considering each of the above steps. There are still bugs in the Beta. Don't subject your current, valued, blog to Beta just yet.
Details>>>Real Blogger Status: Migration From Blogger Classic To Blogger Beta

No comments: